HomeMath CenterPrinter Friendly Version

Math Center

1. Contact Us

1.1. Appointments and how to contact the Math Center

The Math Center is home to advising for majors and minors in either Mathematics or Statistics & Data Science.  Students needing assistance with math enrollment, transfer credit, placement, or other issues not necessarily relating to our majors or minors may stop by the Math Academic Office window at room 108 of the Math building during business hours. The academic office's email is academics@math.arizona.edu; phone:  (520) 626-9837; click here to access their knowledge base.  

Contact the Math Center By Email:  Email mathcenter@math.arizona.edu - Math Center staff check messages frequently throughout the day when offices are open. 

There is also an online form for submitting a question.

Appointment scheduling: We have an online appointment scheduling tool.  (See the Schedule an Advising Appointment link near the top right of any page within this knowledge base.) Within the scheduling tool, you may select an available appointment time, and it is immediately reserved for you.  

Drop-in advising:  Have a quick question?  Check the Math Center calendar to see if drop-in hours are available.  

Math department minor changes:  Want to add or remove one of our minors (math, SDS, or math education)?  Submit your request here.  

Additional information:

All of our online forms also feed into the mathcenter@math.arizona.edu messages.  The first available staff member who is able to answer your submission will get back to you.  Whenever possible, we try to reply by the next business day (if not sooner).

Since our staff are frequently in appointments with students or meetings and unable to answer the phone, calling the Math Center is not recommended.

 Note:  many questions are answered already in our knowledge base; please use the "What are you looking for?" search box at the top of the screen to see if you can get an immediate answer. 

1.2. Using Zoom for Advising Appointments and Drop-ins

Advising staff in the Math Center want to encourage students to use Zoom, an online meeting tool, when in-person appointments are not feasible. 

In case you are not familiar with Zoom, here are some basics to get you started:


  • If a Zoom appointment is selected (in some cases, it may be the only option available), your appointment confirmation email will include a Zoom link, personalized for your meeting. You will use this link to connect to your advisor. We suggest you click the link to log in (with your NetID and password) a few minutes ahead of your appointment. Your advisor should have set up a "waiting room" for you in Zoom, so you will not need to worry about interrupting a previous appointment. If you can't find your appointment confirmation or reminder email, log in to student.trellis.arizona.edu to view the appointment details including the link there.


  • If Drop-ins are scheduled via Zoom, there will be a Zoom link in the Drop-in calendar event - click on that to connect to your advisor once the drop-in time has started.
  • Note: As with appointments above, the advisor should have set up a "waiting room" in Zoom. If the advisor is already talking with a student, you may need to wait. There could also be other students waiting "in line" for advising. We will do our best to keep these sessions short (5-10 minutes). Please help us out with this by scheduling an appointment if you have lots of questions or a complicated situation that may need more time.
  • Because of the nature of drop-ins, your advisor may have only one connection method available at a time; please send us an email to let us know if you need to connect by phone but are not able to find availability. 


  • There is a Zoom app, which you may download and use if you choose. When joining a meeting, you will likely be prompted to download the app, but you are not required to do so.
  • UA has chosen to purchase a campus license for Zoom, allowing faculty, staff, and students to use the software free of charge. 
  • While Zoom allows for videoconferencing, you are not required to use a camera to show video of yourself. In fact, your advisor will likely be sharing their computer screen with you, so you can view relevant information like course plans, etc. You do need the following attached to your computer or mobile device:
    • A microphone
    • Speakers
  • A good internet connection is important for Zoom to work well. Disabling your video sharing can help some, and is not usually necessary anyway. Keep in mind that you may use UAWifi when on campus, and there are also computer labs available - please use headphones with a microphone (often included with cell phones) to avoid disturbing others.
  • To test that Zoom is set up correctly, you can join a test meeting at https://zoom.us/test. You can make sure your microphone input, speaker output, and camera (if you wish to use one) are working correctly.
  • In case connecting by WiFi is a problem, it is possible to connect to some Zoom meetings by phone. Steps:
    1. Dial an in-country Zoom telephone number
    2. Enter your meeting ID followed by a #. Your advisor will need to share this meeting ID with you from their Zoom profile. If you don't have it, please email to ask.
    3.  If the meeting has not already started and Join Before Host is not enabled, you will be prompted: If you are participant, press # to wait.

Because of the screen sharing feature and the ability to connect without phone numbers (avoiding possible long distance charges) we think Zoom provides a great alternative to a phone appointment for students who are not able to visit their advisor in person, due to illness, scheduling, or for students who are not yet in Tucson. It is also an option for providing availability to students in some situations when an advisor is unable to come to campus.

For more detailed information about Zoom for student use (including how you can set up your own Study Group using the tool), see https://help.d2l.arizona.edu/zoomforstudents 

Need help? Try the 24/7 IT support center.

1.3. Advising update - spring 2020

Hello Math and Stat majors,


In light of the recent messages from both President Robbins and our Provost in regards to COVID-19 and the university transitioning to online courses as of Wednesday, 3/18/20, we know you may have questions.  Please read this email for information about how we are moving forward in our department to support our students, faculty, and staff. 

  1. Our faculty and staff are working hard to prepare courses to transition to online/distance/remote format so classes can resume in a different format on Wednesday, 3/18/20. The university will continue to evaluate this situation and make changes, as needed. At this time, spring break has been extended through Tuesday, March 17th, with classes beginning again on Wednesday, March 18th.  We are working to add course sites in D2L (https://d2l.arizona.edu/d2l/loginh/) for courses/sections that did not have them previously.  Additional information will be given to you from your instructors about how your individual classes will proceed so please check your university email and D2L often for updates. 

  2. If you are taking a 7 week II course, please be aware dates and deadlines have been changed with the later start date of 3/18.  An email has been sent with details of these changes; you can also view them here.

  3. Students should not return to campus, provided they have suitable alternative living arrangements. These students are welcome to return to campus briefly to collect belongings. In case you have not seen this news article, Uhaul has offered free storage to students - this may be helpful for some of you. Students who do not have a suitable alternative should return to campus. Residence halls, food service, Campus Health, libraries and computer labs are open and will remain open to support you.

  4. Advising appointments will be conducted via Zoom or phone until further notice.   Please continue to schedule your appointment via Trellis and choose either Zoom or phone for your appointment type.  Your appointment confirmation will include the Zoom link or phone number to call, depending on the appointment type and how your advisor has set things up. We recommend using Zoom whenever possible, since that allows your advisor to share their screen with you to show handouts, checklists, etc. It is pretty easy to use, but a reference page for Zoom is available here for those not familiar with the tool.

  5. Drop-in advising will be held via Zoom. If you are unable to connect via Zoom, please email the Math Center (see below) - we may be able to resolve the issue via email, or schedule a time for a phone conversation. 

  6. If you need a signature on something, please email the Math Center (see below) and we will work with you to figure out how to best take care of this. 


Changes are happening rapidly and we will do our best to communicate these changes to you in a timely fashion, however please let us know if you have questions.  Feel free to email us in the Math Center (either mcenter@math.arizona.edu or mathcenter@math.arizona.edu - pick one, no need to send to both) and we will get back to you as soon as we can. 


For more information about COVID-19 and the university please visit our main COVID-19 page.  Specific information about the campus plan, including information about the attendance policy, for parents and students can be found on the Dean of Students webpage here.


Please also see CDC guidance here, and Campus Health has compiled helpful information about how to take care of yourself and others, and has also included the campus communications in case you may have missed any. Campus Health has also compiled resources to build resilience and deal with stress here.  


We realize that current events (and others' reactions to them) may be causing anxiety. Please remember that these precautions are intended to prevent/slow down the progress of this virus. Your health and well-being are important to us.


Take care,


Laurie (on behalf of all of the Math Center)


Laurie Varecka
Assistant Director, Math Center

Mathematics, 217
617 North Santa Rita Avenue | Tucson, AZ 85721
Office: 520-626-9837 |
Pronouns: she/her/hers

facebook | | instagram | linkedin

2. Math and SDS majors

2.1. How do I declare a major in mathematics or statistics & data science?

You officially declare a major in Mathematics or Statistics & Data Science (SDS) by completing an online info session, then meeting with an advisor in the Math Center. You will receive information on scheduling the meeting at the end of the info session.

When you meet with an advisor, you will be able to familiarize yourself with the Math Center and ask questions not answered in the info session. The Math Center also assigns faculty advisors to students for more personalized in-depth advising, once students have progressed in the major. In addition, you may want to ask for information about opportunities for math or SDS majors to get involved in research experiences, internships, campus activities (including the MathCats), and career exploration.

Math or SDS majors who wish to add another major or change their major to something else will need to contact the department offering the new major.  The Advising Resource Center on campus maintains a directory of major advisors.

2.2. I am a math or SDS major; how do I make an advising appointment?

Schedule your appointment through the Wise Advising scheduling tool.  Appointments are usually 20 minutes, but are scheduled on the hour or half hour to allow a little buffer time.

The Wise Advising scheduling tool also displays walk-in hours, which change from week to week.  Appointments are not available during walk-in hours; they are first-come, first-served and meant for quick sessions (5-10 minutes at most).

If you would like to meet with your faculty advisor, email them directly to set up a time.  Their contact information can be found on our website.  If you don't know who your faculty advisor is, contact the Math Center to inquire.

2.3. I am a math or SDS major. How do I find out who my faculty advisor is?

Unfortunately, UAccess was not set up to allow us to provide this information in your UAccess account.  You can always request the information from mathcenter@math.arizona.edu- Math Center staff will be happy to send along the name and contact information for your faculty advisor.  If walk-in advising hours are convenient, you can also stop in to ask.

The Math Center will email every math and SDS major in the first part of each semester (typically in late September and late February) as students are beginning to prepare for priority registration.  This message comes from mcenter@math.arizona.edu, and will also include information about your current emphasis (and how to update it if you wish to do so), academic level, and more.  

2.4. What is the degree check process for my math or SDS major?

If Math or Statistics & Data Science is NOT your primary major, then check with your primary major advisor for instructions. Either way, your math/SDS faculty advisor will be the one who signs off to approve your math/SDS major. If you are not sure who your faculty advisor is, the graduation survey provides a good opportunity to ask for this information.

If you have not yet applied for graduation, log into UAccess and select "Apply for graduation" from the drop down menu on the left side of the screen; then follow the steps from there.

After applying for graduation, you will complete a Degree Audit Worksheet (also known as "pink sheet").

Since the Math Center staff are currently working from home, please email mathcenter@math.arizona.edu to let us know that you need to begin your DAW. We will assist you with the process from there.

If your primary major is in the math department, you can pick one up either from Nellie Rios in Mathematics room 215 (typical hours:  between 8:30 AM and 2 PM) or from the College of Science advisors in Gould-Simpson 1017You will also return the form to Gould-Simpson 1017 once you have gotten the necessary signatures:

  • Write your name and ID number on the form - IN PEN. This an official document, and pencil is not appropriate.
  • Your math faculty advisor will sign to verify your math major, and should also list any in-progress major courses on the form. If any substitutions/approvals are needed, they can mark them on the form, but it is usually nicer if you have them email those to the Math Center to be entered into your UAccess record (your Advisement Report in the My Academics section). Your advisement report *should* typically indicate that everything is satisfied with the courses you have selected for your final term.  
  • Bring your advisement report with you when you meet with your faculty advisor. He/she may or may not have access to view your complete record in UAccess; unless you are sure they have this access, you need to provide them with this information.
  • If you have any other majors in the same degree as the math or SDS major, see those advisors for additional signatures.
  • If your minor does not appear satisfied in UAccess, contact your minor advisor for instructions. Minors that DO already appear satisfied definitely do not need a signature, by university policy.
  • If you are graduating with honors from the Honors College, see your Honors College Success Counselor for a signature.
  • Return the form to Gould-Simpson 1017 for College Approval. The advisors there will fill out the GPAs, units, gen ed info., etc. They will then submit the form to Graduation Services for final processing.

2.5. I am having trouble getting in touch with my faculty advisor. What should I do?

If you have tried to get in touch with your faculty advisor and have not gotten a response within a reasonable time frame*, please contact the Math Center. We can help!

*It may take a few days for a faculty advisor to reply; possibly longer in the summer (many faculty spend their summers away from campus).  If you don't hear back in a few days during the school year, don't be shy about trying again. You may also want to stop by room 108 of the Math Building to see if your faculty advisor has posted office hours there; while office hours are intended more for help with classes that the professor is teaching, they can be a good time to stop in and set up an advising appointment.

2.6. Where can I find a sample 4-year plan for the math or statistics & data science major?

2.7. Where can I find the requirements for my math or statistics & data science major?

If you have already declared a major in math or SDS, the best place to look is your advisement report in UAccess (see the My Academics link on the left side of the page in your Student Center).  Your advisement report shows all of the requirements for your degree, including your major requirements.  However, if you have not yet selected an emphasis for your major, those requirements will not appear until you officially select your emphasis.

The math and SDS major requirements for the current academic catalog are posted on our website:


We also maintain an archive of requirements from past catalogs, accessible from the page above.  Note that students by default are typically placed into the catalog that was in place when they entered the U of A.  However, students have the option to select a newer catalog if they wish, up until the degree is completed.

2.8. How can I get approval for a course overload?

Unit overloads

Students are limited to 19 units per semester (during priority registration, non-honors students can only add up to 16 units, but that cap is raised to 19 once priority registration is over).  Students wishing to exceed the 19 unit limit may request to do so, but only after priority registration has ended for everyone.

Procedure:  If Math or Statistics & Data Science (SDS) is your primary/first (or only) major, contact the Math Center by email from your official UA email address.  We need to know  

  • How many units you are hoping to take
  • Which courses you would be adding to your existing schedule

If we have additional questions about your course load, we will reply to your email.  Overload requests will be handled strictly through email, to ensure that we have your plans in writing.

If Math or SDS is not your primary major, you will need to check with the advisor for your primary major for instructions.  

Please note that in the College of Science, students must have a strong GPA (at least 3.0) and have demonstrated that they can handle a fairly heavy course load and still earn good grades.

MATH/DATA* course overloads

Most math and SDS majors take 1-2 MATH or DATA* courses in a given term.  Students planning to enroll in three MATH or DATA* courses in a single semester are advised to talk to their faculty advisor before finalizing their schedule. The Math Department requires that students enrolling in four or more MATH or DATA* courses for a single term obtain permission from their faculty advisor. Note that special courses like Supplemental Instruction, Workshops, Teaching Assistantship enrollment, and Pedagogy courses for the Secondary Math Education Program are not counted toward this limit.  Students who select four or more MATH or DATA* courses will be contacted and given some time to consult with their faculty advisors; excess courses will be dropped if permission is not granted.

*DATA is a provisional course prefix for SDS major and minor courses

2.9. I am a math major; are there scholarships that I can apply for?

The Math Department has some funding for scholarships.  

Some have very specific criteria (see the Special Scholarships and Awards section of our website: http://math.arizona.edu/academics/undergrads/scholarships#Special) for details and typical application periods.

The Gordon, Graesser, Pierce, and Peet scholarships share a single application, which is due each year on the first Friday in April.  (See 

http://math.arizona.edu/academics/undergrads/scholarships#undergrad for additional information.)

When available, application forms are linked from the scholarship descriptions on our website, and are also sent out in the weekly news message for math majors.

Sorry, math minors are generally not eligible for scholarships through the Math Department.  All students are encouraged to use scholarshipuniverse.arizona.edu to seek out additional sources of scholarship funding.

2.10. What are my options for after graduation?

After Graduation


Through our advising services, we do our best to help students develop a program of study suited to their career goals. For more specific information on finding a job upon graduation, students avail themselves of the extensive services and resources provided by UA Career Services.

Some of the types of jobs or career paths of math or statistics & data science (SDS) majors are described on our Careers in the Mathematical Sciences page. Information on specific careers of some of our graduates appears in our Alumni Early Career Profiles page.  

Linked below, you will find listings of jobs and job search tools, divided into two categories:

When potential employers looking to recruit UA math/SDS majors contact the Math Center, we add their information to this page. The information listed is not actively maintained and might not be up to date, and by no means represents a complete picture of jobs available to our majors.

Graduate Studies

While an undergraduate degree is sufficient preparation for many jobs, others require an advanced degree, either in one of the mathematical sciences or some other field. In the mathematical sciences in particular, it is common for graduate students to receive funding from teaching or research assistantships to pay for their tuition.  

Students planning to attend graduate school need to plan ahead; many programs expect students to have completed specific course work, and may also require entrance examinations like the GRE.  Please read our information about preparing for graduate programs in the mathematical sciences and talk to your advisor along the way if you may be interested in graduate studies.  

The Math Center maintains a list of some graduate programs in the mathematical sciences; we hope the links provided will be useful to you as you research programs and their entrance requirements.

Resumes and Letters of Recommendation

We encourage all Math and SDS majors to create and maintain a resume.  Please see our sample resume, available in several formats below:

You are welcome to download the sample and adapt it to your own use.  Note that UA Career Services provides resume checks among their many services.

Students should begin seeking experiences to add to their resume as early in their undergraduate career as possible.  Employers and graduate programs like to see things like Undergraduate Research Assistantships, Undergraduate Teaching Assistantships, Internships, and REUs.  

At some point, you will also need letters of recommendation; see our 6 tips for requesting letters of recommendation before you talk to professors.

2.11. I just graduated. Where will my diploma be sent?

By default, diplomas are sent to the Permanent Address you have specified in your UAccess account.  You can set a different Diploma Address there, if you wish; see http://www.registrar.arizona.edu/personal-information/contact-information-address-and-telephone-number    for details.

2.12. I finished all of my degree requirements; when do I get my diploma?

First, did you do your Degree Check?  You will not receive a diploma unless your degree check has been completed so Graduation Services can verify that all requirements are met.

Graduation Services advisors post degrees after all UA course grades have been submitted and all transcripts have been received from other institutions.  You may check the schedule for posting degrees to determine the approximate date when your diploma will be ordered.

Diplomas are normally ordered once a week from the Michael Sutter Company in Utah.  You should expect your diploma approximately two to three weeks after your degree is posted.  Please do not directly contact the Michael Sutter Company regarding your diploma.  There are no express services available for diplomas.

You should first check your cumulative profile in UAccess Student to make sure that your degree has been awarded.  If it has been three weeks from the award date, then undergraduate students may contact Graduation Services Advisor and graduate students may contact the Graduate College.  They will be able to tell you the status of your diploma.

The University of Arizona has authorized the National Student Clearinghouse to provide enrollment and
degree verifications.  Students may also order an official copy of their transcript to verify a degree.

2.13. I plan to transfer to the UA as a math or SDS major. How can I obtain advising through that process?

For students who are currently attending a community college or another university, emailing the Math Center is the best way to get advice about what courses to take before transferring to the UA. There are also several resources you can use to check how your courses will transfer on your own.

If you email the Math Center, please include screenshots or PDFs of your unofficial transcripts from all higher education institutions. If you have AP or other exam credits, it can also be helpful to include those. This will allow us to accurately determine which degree requirements you have already met.

If you have already been accepted to the UA as a transfer admit, please register for a Transfer Orientation Session through your Next Steps Center as soon as possible. At your orientation, you will meet one-on-one with a Math Center advisor to go over your requirements and plan out your course schedule. You will gain access to register only after your orientation. Please do not schedule an advising appointment before your orientation - it is not possible to bypass the orientation requirement.

2.14. What kind of computer should I get if I am a Math or SDS major?

There is no one preferred computer for Math or SDS majors. Students (and faculty/staff) may use Windows, macOS, or even Linux. 

Note that our UAWiFi does not currently work with some Chromebooks (as of Summer 2019).

Many courses will expect students to have access to Microsoft Office products (e.g. Word, Excel) or compatible programs. The university provides free software licenses for Microsoft Office, among other programs, to current students. Courses in the Math Department may require students to access free software including MATLAB, R, Python, and LaTeX. SDS majors needing to work with large data sets will be able to access campus computing resources.

Some UA Colleges/Departments have their own technology requirements; students who will have an additional major should check for specific standards when purchasing technology. For example:

2.15. Changes to MATH 323 and 396L - 2020

The Math Center would like to inform our math majors and minors about some changes to MATH 323 and 396L beginning with summer and fall 2020. Until now, the prerequisite for MATH 323 was MATH 313 (with a D or better). MATH 396L (the 1-unit Wildcat Proofs workshop) was an optional way to get extra proof-writing practice.

Logic and proof-writing are essential skills for mathematicians; to improve the outcomes and the student experience for 323, we have adjusted the pre- and co-requisites. From now on, students who earn a C or higher in MATH 313 will be eligible to go on to MATH 323. However, students who earn a D in MATH 313 will have to take an additional proof-focused course - either MATH 243 or 315 - or repeat 313 for a better grade before moving forward.

In addition, students with a C or lower in 313 will be required to enroll in MATH 396L concurrently with 323. The content of this course will align more closely with that of 323, and students in other proof-based courses will no longer be able to enroll in 396L.

The enrollment requirements for MATH 323 have already been changed.

We also plan to create an honors section of MATH 323 for students who earned an A  in 313. Membership in the honors college will not be necessary or sufficient for enrollment in the honors section. We will let students know when this is ready.


Q: I earned a D in MATH 313, but what if I took CSC 245 and earned a C or better in that? I hear it's similar to MATH 243.

A: Yes, CSC 245 is similar to MATH 243. We missed this in the initial set of enrollment requirement updates, but will be adding it when we can. For now (summer/fall 2020 enrollment), you will need to contact the Math Center (mathcenter@math.arizona.edu) if you have a D in MATH 313, a C or better in CSC 245, and want to enroll in MATH 323.

Q: I took Intro to Linear Algebra somewhere else, and it appears as MATH 215 in my record. Am I eligible for MATH 323?

A: Yes. You must have earned a C or better in the course in order for the credit to transfer. Your course will be evaluated just like MATH 313.

Q: I need to repeat MATH 323. Do I also need MATH 396L? 

A: We strongly recommend it. While UAccess will not require you to take 396L if you earned an A or B in MATH 313, the need to repeat MATH 323 suggests that you would benefit from also taking MATH 396L.

Q: During the Spring 2020 COVID-19 situation, I changed my MATH 313 course to pass/fail grading. How does this affect my eligibility for 323? 

A: Earning a P grade in MATH 313 for Spring 2020 only will be treated as equivalent to a C (these students may enroll in MATH 323 but will also be required to enroll in MATH 396L). Students who earn an F in MATH 313 in Spring 2020 will have to repeat the course for a regular grade.

2.16. MATH 475B changes for 2020-21 and beyond

Due to a combination of low demand for the past 10 years and budget pressures, the Math Department has decided to discontinue MATH 475B after this semester, spring 2020. (There are currently only 8 students in the class.)

We will still offer MATH 475A going forward, and have approved some alternatives to MATH 475B for students who may have planned to complete the MATH 475A/475B sequence, which is part of the Applied and Computer Science emphases:

Applied emphasis - choose

MATH 475A + one from {MATH 413, 424, 443, 445, 447, 454, 456, 464} 

CS emphasis - choose

MATH 475A + one from {MATH 422, 424, 454, 456, 464, 485} 

These options will not appear in current advisement reports, so the Math Center will need to make substitutions for students. Please email mathcenter@math.arizona.edu when you enroll in the second course for the "sequence" as listed above, and we will make the adjustment for you.

3. Math and SDS minors

3.1. How do I declare the math or SDS minor?

To officially declare a minor in Mathematics or Statistics & Data Science, submit your request to the Math Center here .

If you prefer, you can email us directly at mathcenter@math.arizona.edu; please include your ID number and send your request from your official UA email account.

Your major advisor can also add the math minor for you. Degree requirements for our minors may be found on our Undergraduate Program Requirements page.

We have a Mathematics Education minor as well; this minor is ONLY available to students in majors that lead to certification for secondary teaching.  To add the Math Education minor, submit your request to the Math Center here .

Questions?  The Math Center is happy to help; just send us an email.

3.2. Where can I view the requirements for a math minor?

If you have already declared a math minor, the best place to look is your advisement report in UAccess (see the My Academics link on the left side of the page in your Student Center).  Your advisement report shows all of the requirements for your degree, including your minor requirements. 

The University offers two different minors in mathematics:

  • Mathematics Minor 
  • Mathematics Teaching Minor 

Each requires at least 18 units of coursework in mathematics (a minimum of 3 units must be taken at UA, and at least 6 units must come from specified upper-division offerings in MATH). Note that while the Mathematics Minor is available to everyone*, the Mathematics Teaching Minor is available only to secondary education teaching majors.

For minor requirements, see http://math.arizona.edu/academics/undergrads/majors#minor

We also maintain an archive of requirements from past catalogs, accessible from the page above.  Note that students by default are typically placed into the catalog that was in place when they entered the U of A.  However, students have the option to select a newer catalog if they wish, up until the degree is completed.

*Students majoring in mathematics may not declare the mathematics minor within the same degree program.  It must be in a separate degree. 

3.3. Will my Math Minor show on my degree when I graduate?

The minor will appear on your official transcripts as part of the degree that been awarded. Minors do not typically appear on diplomas, however.

3.4. I am a math minor; what do I need to do for my degree check?

Most students do not need a signature for their minor, per university policy. If your minor appears satisfied in your Advisement Report (or will once you enroll in your final courses), a signature is not needed - we can save you a trip!  The minor will be awarded as part of your degree, provided you complete any remaining courses with sufficient grades to maintain the minimum 2.0 minor GPA required by the university.

If your minor does not appear satisfied in your Advisement Report, please leave your pink degree check form and a copy of your Advisement Report with office staff in room 108 of the Math Department.  You will be contacted via email when your form is ready to be picked up. 

During busy times of the semester, please allow up to a week for processing. 

Important: Students with out-of-state math transfer courses MUST have the transfer credit evaluated prior to the degree check process. The degree check process will be delayed 2 weeks if out-of-state course equivalency evaluation is not yet complete. See  http://math.arizona.edu/academics/placement/credits/request.html  for instructions.

3.5. Can I use a course from another department in my math minor requirements?

Usually, no.  The exceptions tend to be courses where the offering department has worked with us in development of the course and (at least historically) cross-listed the course.  Since the College of Science stopped offering cross-listings between courses within the college, it may be tough to tell which courses can be used.  We hope the following notes will help to clarify:

  • ECOL 480 does count in the math minor, though the cross-listing has not been preserved.
  • PHIL/CSC/MATH 401A and 401B do count in the math minor requirements. Since these courses are offered by the Philosophy department (not in the College of Science), the cross-listing has been preserved.
  • Either CSC 245 or CSC 473 may be used in the math minor, but not both courses.
  • Sorry, though the College of Engineering offers some courses with significant math content, they do not fit the criteria for use in a math minor.

Something to keep in mind:  graduate programs and employers who view a student's transcript will expect to see a minimum number of MATH courses for a student earning a math minor.  

4. Major/Minor Advising

4.1. Priority registration advising

Advising for Priority Registration begins once the next semester's schedule is published (in Fall, this is around October 1; in Spring, it is mid-March).  Please note that though the schedule has been published, it will usually still require some updates.

Appointments:  Due to high demand for advising, appointments during priority registration advising are reserved for math or statistics major business.  Use the Schedule an Advising Appointment link at the top right of this or any page within the Knowledge Base.

Enrollment issues/questions:  Students who have questions about enrolling in a math class may stop by our Academic Office (the counter at room 108 of the Math building) during business hours for assistance.  If you have questions about enrolling in a course that does not have the "MATH" or "DATA" prefix, please contact the offering department.

Drop-ins for math/stat minors and majors:  Math or Stat minors and majors who need only 5-10 minutes for questions may stop by to talk with an advisor during walk-in advising hours.  Availability for walk-ins is posted in the appointment calendar linked above, here:  http://math.arizona.edu/~varecka/calendar.html, and on paper outside of our advisors' offices (Math building rooms 221 and 217).  If an "Open for Drop-ins" sign is posted, drop-ins are in progress!  Drop-ins are first-come, first-served (no appointments). There may be a wait at times.

Email:  Many questions may be answered by email:  mathcenter@math.arizona.edu 

Knowledge base:  and some are answered in our Knowledge Base:  http://mathcenter.math.arizona.edu/support/home

4.2. What email address should I send advising questions to?

Please use only the Math Center email addresses (mathcenter@math.arizona.edu and mcenter@math.arizona.edu) or the ticket/online form submission options at https://ua-math-dept.helpspot.com/mathcenter/index.php?pg=kb.book&id=7 when asking advising-related questions.  

Messages sent to the Math Center are submitted as "tickets" which do not get buried the way that email can.  Our ticket system allows for efficient response to your message, and does not rely on a single person to answer.  While your Academic Advisors will answer most questions, other staff have knowledge to assist with many questions and provide you with an answer in a timely fashion.

4.3. How can I earn Honors from the Honors College?

Honors for Math Majors

Below is information about course work and honors theses for Honors students majoring in Mathematics.

Honors Course Work

To graduate with honors from the Honors College, 30 units of honors course work are usually required. Some students who enter with more than 30 units of transfer work may take fewer honors units; consult your Honors Student Success Counselor for more information.

Honors Math Sections Offered

The Math Department offers a few honors courses/sections that count toward a mathematics major: courses in the Calculus sequence may have special honors sections available. These honors math courses are available to highly motivated students with strong mathematical backgrounds. Acceptance to the UA Honors College is not a requirement. Registration for each honors section is blocked until the Mathematics Department can verify student eligibility. Eligibility rules depend on:

  • Current UA Students - by nomination: Each semester, instructors of certain math courses are asked by the Mathematics Department to nominate unusually outstanding students for invitation to the honors section of certain math courses. Your instructor and/or the Mathematics Department will inform you if you are nominated, and will provide you with instructions to complete your registration.
  • Fall Incoming Freshmen - by placement: Since there is no opportunity for instructors to nominate students into their very first UA MATH course, other criteria can be used to determine honors eligibility for certain courses (usually a very high placement test score plus college credit for the prerequisite course, usually from an AP exam). Generally speaking, students are informed of their eligibility during New Student Orientation; plan to speak with a math placement advisor during the lunch time sessions at your orientation program. Eligibility is for Fall first semester Freshmen only.

Honors Contracts

Students in the Honors College may contract with the instructor of a course not otherwise available for honors, in order to earn honors credit in the course. See the Honors College website for policies and procedures.

500 Level (Graduate) Courses

Juniors and Seniors in the Honors College may enroll in 500-level courses for undergraduate honors credit. (Seniors who are not in the Honors College may also enroll in 500-level courses, if approved by the instructor, head of the department offering the course, and Dean of the Graduate College.) Students who are interested in this option should first speak to their math faculty advisor. Instructions for enrollment are on the Graduation Services website.

Recent math majors have enrolled in the following graduate courses, just to give you an idea of what is available:

  • 511A/B (Algebra),
  • 520A/B (Complex Analysis),
  • 523A/B (Real Analysis),
  • 525A/B (Real Analysis of One/Several Variables),
  • 528A/B (Bahach & Hilbert Spaces),
  • 534A/B (Topology-Geometry),
  • 537A/B (Global Differential Geometry),
  • 563 (Probability Math),
  • 588 (Topics in Mathematical Physics)

Honors Thesis


To graduate with honors from the Honors College in your major area, students need to submit a prospectus outlining their proposed thesis work, and then complete and submit a thesis through the major department. Additionally, students must meet minimum GPA and honors unit requirements - see your Honors Student Success Counselor for details, and be sure to check in regularly to ensure that you are on track to graduate with honors.

Enrolling in MATH 498H

For math majors, MATH 498H is available in Fall, Spring, and even in Summer, though faculty availability in Summer is often limited. Students must enroll in 3 units of MATH 498H for two distinct semesters (6 units total) to qualify for honors. To enroll in MATH 498H, request an independent study proposal form from the Math Academic Office; once you have completed the form and obtained the necessary signatures, the Academic Office staff will process the form and enroll you in the course.

Finding a Thesis Advisor and Topic

There are a number of ways to get connected with a thesis advisor and find a research topic:

Get to know your professors.

Office hours are not just for homework help, they are also a great time to get to know your professors, and find out what research projects (if any) they have going. Also remember that you will need letters of recommendation at some point, and professors who know you well both in and outside of the classroom will write the strongest letters for you!

Enroll in MATH 396C.

MATH 396C is the Undergraduate Research Seminar, usually offered in Spring semester. The course meets once per week (1 unit), and is meant to be taken after either MATH 313 or 223. Several different faculty members will present 2-4 lectures each on research topics/projects in which undergraduates can become involved. (This course may not be used to fulfill degree requirements for the math major or minor.)

Check out the project ideas posted on our web page.

Some of our faculty have submitted information about projects that undergraduates could work on under their supervision. These project ideas are posted on our website. Students may contact the faculty members directly for more information. Please note that there are many more faculty that are happy to work with undergraduate researchers; the list is by no means exhaustive. Students may also wish to consult the list of faculty by research area.

Contact the URA program coordinator.

The coordinator of the Mathematics Department's Undergraduate Research Assistantship (URA) program, can be very helpful in connecting students with research in mathematics:  ura@math.arizona.edu.

4.4. How do I "un-declare" a math major or minor?

We understand that this sometimes happens, and can easily remove a math minor or major for you via email in most cases* - just send your request from your university email account with your student ID to mathcenter@math.arizona.edu.

*Note: If you wish to remove a math major, you will need to have another major in place. If math is your only major, you can request to have the major removed when you declare a new major; see the Advising Resource Center to find the contact information for your new major advisor. If you are interested in dropping your math major to a minor but are not sure what requirements you have left to complete, just ask the Math Center: mathcenter@math.arizona.edu.

4.5. How do I drop all of my classes for a semester?

As of Fall 2012, there is a new online process to withdraw from all classes for a given semester. Please read the important information at http://www.registrar.arizona.edu/complete-withdrawal before submitting your withdrawal request.

4.6. What if I want to study mathematics AND statistics & data science?

We encourage students to explore their interests in all areas of mathematics! All of our majors and minors require 2-3 semesters of calculus, as well as linear algebra. See our four-year plans for details.

If you are interesting in completing multiple majors or minors within the math department, please speak to an advisor, and see our departmental double dipping policies

5. Registration and transcripts

5.1. Ordering official UA transcripts

Current students must sign in to UAccess Student Center and order official transcripts. In the drop down menu to the left of your schedule, you will see "Request Official Transcript".  Select that menu item and click the double arrow next to the drop down.  Read through the information there before submitting.

Former students may place an order through TranscriptsPlus anytime, anyplace. In accordance with University of Arizona policy, as well as state and federal privacy laws, your signature is required for release of your academic transcript. Follow instructions for transmission of release after completion of order.

Status of the transcript may be checked at Credentials Solutions (TranscriptsPlus) on the Transcript Order Follow-Up screen.

If you still have questions or need assistance, you can call (520) 621-3113, or email to REG-reghelp@email.arizona.edu.

5.2. How to Register in UAccess

To add a class, log in to your UAccess Student Center (http://uaccess.arizona.edu), using your NetID and password.  From the main screen, find the Enroll link on the left side of the page; in the Enrollment area, you will find links to Add, Drop, and Swap courses, among other tasks.  In the Add tab, you can search in a few ways - see the left side of the screen shot below.  

The box labeled "Enter Class Nbr" is looking for the 5 digit code associated with a course.  (For ECON 200 in the image, it is 53893).  You will rarely know this number!  It is more typical to use Class Search or My Advisement Report (which is a list of your requirements based on degree(s), major(s), minor(s) declared at any given time).  

When you have searched for a course, selecting it will add to your shopping cart.  Be sure to click the green "Proceed to Step 2 of 3" button and follow the instructions from there to add the course from your cart to your schedule.

Adding a course to your cart does not reserve a seat for you (just like adding an item to your Amazon shopping cart does not reserve the item for you).  You must add the class to your schedule to reserve your seat.

The UA’s University Information Technology Services (UITS) department offers quick online tutorials to guide new students through each phase of the registration process.  UAccess Student is the tool used for registration. Click here to be linked to the Workshops page. Then, scroll to your desired tutorial (under UAccess Student, see "Online Student Tutorials"; also, under "Student Center", there is a practice area available).

Need Assistance?

Call 24/7 at (520) 626-TECH (8324) - 24 hours a day or visit their website at http://the247.arizona.edu/ You can also visit the FAQs for students at http://mosaic.arizona.edu/student_admin/faqs

5.3. Can I take a graduate (500-level) class?

Students may request to register for 500-level courses if 
  • they are a Junior (at least 60 units earned) in the Honors College, or a Senior (at least 90 units earned), AND
  • they have at least a 3.0 cumulative GPA. 

To request enrollment, first fill out the Student Information portion of the Undergraduate Enrollment in Graduate Courses form in ink. The form can be obtained at the Math Academic Office window in Mathematics Room 108, or downloaded and printed here. You can choose to earn Honors credit (if in the Honors College), undergraduate credit, or graduate credit. Note that graduate credit is unlikely to be useful for undergraduate students and will not count as units toward graduation. Speak with your Math Faculty Advisor or Academic Advisor if you are not sure what type of credit to request. 

Write in the course(s) to be taken and drop off the form at room 108 or during Math Center walk-in hours. The Math Center will consult with your faculty advisor and instructors and contact you via email when we have an answer to your request. If approval is granted, we will help you obtain the necessary signatures. After the form is complete, we will return it to you to deliver to Room 210 of the Administration Building for processing. 

Students should expect the process to take up to two weeks, possibly longer at busy times, so please plan ahead.

5.4. When do I register for classes?

Continuing students register for classes during Priority Registration.

New incoming students register for classes sometime near the end of the prior semester or before the new semester begins. In order to be cleared for registration, new students must have completed the requirements in their Next Steps Center and have met with their Academic Advisor.  Incoming Freshmen are required to attend an orientation session (available dates are listed in the Next Steps Center); incoming Transfer or Readmit students set up an individual advising appointment.  

5.5. Unofficial transcripts

To view an unofficial transcript, sign in to UAccess Student Center using NetID and password.

  • At the “other academic” scroll tab menu, search for “View Unofficial Transcript”.
  • Click "View Unofficial Transcript".
  • If you are having trouble viewing your unofficial transcript, please make sure your browser isn’t blocking pop-ups from this site.

5.6. Evaluation of non-math transfer work

While the Registrar's office determines whether or not transfer course work is acceptable for UA credit, it is up to individual departments to determine whether the content of a transfer course is sufficiently similar to a UA course to count as that UA course in a student's program.  Most departments are now using a common form for submission of transfer evaluations.  See http://academicaffairs.arizona.edu/transfer-credits

There are a few special cases:

In-State Transfers:  many in-state courses do not need evaluation; to see how your course transfers to UA, check the online course equivalency guide:



General Education:  your Academic Advisor for your primary major can either evaluate your general education coursework or give you instructions for having it evaluated.  If your primary (or only) major is Mathematics or Statistics, contact College of Science advisor Tharini “Raini” Wijeweera to request a gen ed evaluation:  raini@email.arizona.edu.  Please send your message from your official UA email address and include your student ID number.


Math:  read the information at http://math.arizona.edu/academics/placement/credits  and follow the instructions.  Placement information for transfer students is posted at http://math.arizona.edu/academics/placement/transfer  These links are also available through your Next Steps Center if you are an incoming student.

Chemistry:  read the information at http://cbc.arizona.edu/education/undergrad/transfer_evaluation and follow the instructions.

English:  read the information at https://english.arizona.edu/writing-program/transfer-students  and follow the instructions.



All students must include a link or attach information to the catalog description and a detailed syllabus.  The syllabus must list the topics covered each week, the textbooks used and the number of contact hours each week.  Please submit your information well in advance to allow adequate time for review.  We cannot review courses that do not include a detailed syllabus and lab information (if applicable).

5.7. Have questions not answered here?

The Math Academic Office assists students from across campus with issues related to math enrollment, placement, transfer credit, etc.  For more extensive information about these issues, see their knowledge base.  

6. Accelerated Master's Program

6.1. Accelerated MS in Statistics

Students pursuing a statistics & data science major or a mathematics major with either the Probability & Statistics or General/Applied emphasis may be interested in applying for the Accelerated Master's Program (AMP) in Statistics.

Students who are accepted into the AMP will begin taking 500-level courses required in the Statistics M.S. degree during their final year of the undergraduate degree; these courses may also be applied to the undergraduate math or SDS major requirements. After completion of the undergraduate degree requirements, one additional year of graduate work is needed to finish the Master's degree.

The Accelerated Master's Program requirements and admissions criteria are set by the Graduate Interdisciplinary Program in Statistics.  Click the link above for more information about requirements, eligibility, and to submit questions to the Statistics program coordinator.

7. Research, Teaching, and Internships for Undergrads

7.1. What internships are available?


UA Career Services is the most up-to-date source for information on internships available to students. They can also help critique your resume, hone your interview skills, and more. Internships are a great way to gain work-related experience prior to graduation, earn some money, and in some cases, they have led to offers of permanent jobs for our students after they graduate.

Below is a selection of companies that offer internships for undergraduate students majoring in mathematics or statistics & data science. Additional internship information can be found through the AMS and SIAM.

Aerospace and Defense


Computers and Technology




  • Metron: scientific consulting.
  • Mitre: cybersecurity, emerging technologies, engineering, health transformation, global networking, and intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance.
  • Philips: healthcare and electronics.
  • SAIC: national security, health, energy and environment, and cybersecurity.


7.2. How can I get involved in research as an undergraduate?

Undergraduate Research Assistantship (URA) Program

This program provides undergraduate math and SDS majors the opportunity to learn about mathematical research by working with a faculty mentor on a project. Duties include solving mathematical problems and writing a final report for web publication. Program participants, called Undergraduate Research Assistants (URAs), typically work for credit. Some faculty may have grant funding enabling them to pay URAs.

Why undergraduate research? 

URAs explore areas of mathematics and statistics that are not typically taught in a classroom setting.

URAs refine their communication skills.

URAs can earn upper-division credit (or sometimes pay) on a flexible schedule.

URAs have experience in their field of study to include on their resumes.

URAs have faculty mentors who can write strong letters of recommendation, based on their close working relationship.

URAs planning to attend graduate school are better prepared for graduate-level research.

URAs may be invited to travel to a conference like SUnMaRC and could win a prize at a conference like the UA Student Showcase for presenting their research results.

URAs might even publish research work in a scholarly journal.

How do I get involved?

First, you will need to find a faculty mentor and decide on a project.  There are several ways to go about this:

  • Look through our list of research project ideas submitted by faculty members. If one of those ideas piques your interest, contact that faculty member to further discuss the possibilities. These faculty have indicated interest in working with undergraduates on research, and may have newer projects available, too.
  • Try the search tool on the University of Arizona Undergraduate Research website (http://ur.arizona.edu/faculty.cfm) These search results include faculty from a variety of departments on campus.
  • Enroll in MATH 396C - Undergraduate Research Seminar (1 unit, offered in spring semesters). This workshop is designed to introduce students to research opportunities in mathematics at the U of A.
  • Have a favorite professor? Ask them about their area of research. If it sounds interesting, find out if there might be a way for you to participate.
  • Perhaps you already have one or more faculty members in mind you'd like to work with, but are unsure on what you could work with them, or don't like the particular project they might have on the list mentioned above. Simply approach your favorite faculty member and discuss alternate possibilities with them. Faculty often are open to working on projects that are not on the list.       
  • If you have a particular project in mind but don’t know which faculty member(s) to approach with the idea, the URA Program Coordinator will be glad to help you locate an appropriate faculty member, and the friendly advisors in the Math Center will be equally happy to assist you.

Next, if you will be earning credit for your URA experience, you will need to register through the math department Academic Office; there is a special form needed. The form requires a description of the work to be done, and signatures from your project advisor and major advisor.  If your faculty mentor has funding to pay you, he/she will work with our Business Office to help you set this up.

Program History

The best way to learn about the activities of past URAs is to check out the participants list, which has links to proposals, reports, or sometimes even entire project websites. The URA Program was created in Fall 1996 by William McCallum, who was Associate Head for Undergraduate Studies at that time. Robert Indik was the URA Program Coordinator until 2009, at which time Moysey Brio became URA Program Coordinator.   In 2016, our current Coordinator, Sergey Cherkis, took over.

7.3. What opportunities are offered within the Department of Mathematics?

Teaching Opportunities

Our Undergraduate Teaching Assistant (UTA) programs provides opportunities to earn money or credit while engaging in teaching-related activites.

Tutoring Jobs

The Center for Recruitment and Retention of Mathematics Teachers offers an opportunity to observe dynamic teaching, attend tutor preparation classes for a credit, and tutor middle and high school students for pay.

Other locations on campus that offer tutoring services might also have job opportunities. For a current listing, see the math department tutoring page.

7.4. Are there other opportunities at The University of Arizona?

Many research-related and teaching-related opportunities exist on the UA campus. Looking for a place to start? The University of Arizona Office of Undergraduate Research website has information about how to get started and will help you connect with projects in your area of interest.

Undergraduate Biology Research Program

To learn more, please visit the Undergraduate Biology Research Program website.

UA NASA Space Grant Program

To learn more, please visit the NASA Space Grant Program website.

UA Summer Research Institute

This program, although run by the UA Graduate College, offers opportunities for undergraduate students. To learn more, please visit the Summer Research Institute website.

Teaching Teams Program

The primary goal of the Teaching Teams Program (TTP) is to improve learning on the campus of the University of Arizona. They do this through the creation of a Teaching Team which includes Instructors, Graduate Teaching Assistants (GTA's), and student peer assistants. These student peer assistants are called Preceptors. To learn more about becoming a Preceptor, see the Teaching Teams Program website.

UA Career Services

Besides offering job placement help for current UA students and alumni, UA Career Services also assists current UA students in finding and landing internships and other career-related experiences.

Undergraduate Research Opportunities Consortium (UROC)

The Graduate College offers undergraduate research opportunities in the summer and during the year to help you prepare for the rigors of graduate school. See the Graduate College website for details and availability.

7.5. Semester programs away from the UA

The semester programs are run each year. For details about the programs and deadlines for application, click on the links to the program websites. For additional programs, see the U of A Study Abroad and National Student Exchange websites.

Argonne National Laboratory

Location: Argonne, IL Eligibility: 18 yrs or older; eligible to work in U.S.; cumulative GPA ≥ 2.5; health insurance. Spring or Fall Laboratory Undergraduate Programs available.

Budapest Semesters in Mathematics

Location: Budapest, Hungary Eligibility: students normally have at least sophomore status and are in good academic standing; students are expected to have completed one semester of advanced calculus or abstract algebra.

Math in Moscow

Location: Moscow, Russia Eligibility: good academic standing; completed at least one semester of both advanced analysis and linear algebra; no language requirement (classes are taught in English).

Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education (ORISE) and Oak Ridge Associated Universities (ORAU)

Locations vary. Most programs are restricted based on citizenship/residency status. See website for details on specific programs.

Oxford Study Abroad Programme

Location: Oxford, United Kingdom Eligibility: GPA ≥ 3.0 after two years of university study

Penn State's Mathematics Advanced Study Semesters (MASS) Program

Location: University Park, PA Eligibility: students are typically juniors or seniors during the program; high level of mathematical ability and mastery of mathematical proof techniques. Background: full calculus sequence, basic linear algebra, a transition course with proofs and either advanced calculus or basic real analysis.

Smith College Center for Women in Mathematics Junior Program

The Junior Program is for undergraduate women mathematics majors who want a mathematically intense semester or year among other women. (While the program is intended to take place during the junior year, second-semester sophomores and rising seniors will also be considered.)

U.S. Department of Energy

Check the Scholarships & Internships link from the DoE website to see what's available and where (locations and eligibility restrictions vary). *Note: Some of the Contests & Competitions may also be of interest!

Washington International Studies Council (WISC) Study in Oxford

Location: Oxford, United Kingdom Eligibility: WISC has programs in a variety of subjects including Mathematics, Economics, Biological Sciences, etc. See program descriptions for more on expectations.

7.6. Is funding available to study or participate in research abroad?

The American Mathematical Society has a scholarship program specifically for the Math in Moscow study abroad program.

The Gilman Scholarship is a nationally competitive scholarship that students with economic need can apply for for research or study abroad.

The Boren Scholarship is a nationally competitive scholarship that any student can apply for to do research or study abroad in countries excluding Canada, Western Europe, Australia and New Zealand.  Note that language study and future government service are part of the commitment.

UA's Office of Nationally Competitive Scholarships regularly holds information sessions and provides information and assistance with scholarships like Gilman and Boren.

The DIMACS REU has an annual trip to Prague, Czech Republic that a few select students from the REU may be selected to attend.  DIMACS is a paid Research Experience for Undergraduates, funded by NSF.  Projects typically relate to math and computer science.

The Amgen Scholars program provides funding to participate in research at a US institution.  There are many summer Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REUs) available each year; we maintain a partial listing on our website.

Some countries have scholarships to study or work specifically in their country. 

Example:  Germany has a DAAD Scholarship for undergraduate students  

8. Activities and Events

8.1. How can I join the MathCats Club?

The MathCats Club

MathCats is the undergraduate club for students of all majors who are interested in mathematics. It provides opportunities for students to get to know each other, share experiences, have fun, and help each other succeed. If you would like to be added to the MathCats listserv, please email mathcenter@math.arizona.edu with your request from your UA email account or ask one of the current MathCats officers.

8.2. Other Math and SDS Major Activities

9. Graduate School

9.1. Letters of Recommendation

The following are some suggestions on obtaining letters of recommendation:

  1. You should first of all understand that you will need letters of recommendation from faculty. Make a point of talking to faculty, attending office hours with questions. If an instructor is to support your application, then the instructor needs to be able to say something other than you earned an A or B in the course. It is not a good idea to ask an instructor for a letter of recommendation if you did not earn an A or B in the course.
  2. Give the instructor at least two weeks to write a letter of recommendation.
  3. Provide the letter-writer a copy of your resume. You will find a “sample resume” posted at http://math.arizona.edu/ugprogram/mcenter/careerassistance.html for you to use to create your own resume.  Career Services also has lots of resume resources.
  4. Minimize the amount of work that a letter writer has to do. If a paper copy is required, then provide the addressed envelopes to the letter writer.
  5. If the letters are to go out in email, then send the email addresses electronically to your letter writer in such a way that he/she can easily cut and paste the email addresses into a message.
  6. Follow-up with the letter writer.  A quick thank-you and update on whether you were offered the job, accepted into the graduate program, etc. is always appreciated.  Remember, you may find yourself asking this person for additional letters in future, so it's not a bad idea to stay in touch.

10. Additional Resources for Undergraduates

10.1. What resources are there for international/ESL students?

Resources for International/ESL Students

  • International Student Services
  • Center for English as a Second Language:  Fee-based part-time and evening classes in the following areas: ☆ English ☆ Pronunciation ☆ Conversations
  • Writing Skills Improvement Program:  The folks at WSIP can help with any type of writing project (from essays to resumes to dissertations) at any stage.  
  • Cosmopolitan Toastmasters: A unique public speaking club for non-native English speakers in a friendly, supportive environment. Open to everyone. No prerequisite. Improve communication and leadership skills, and presentation skills. Improve self-confidence speaking in front of a group or when called upon. Great for anyone preparing for a class presentation or job interview.

10.2. Is there any advice from Math graduates?

10.3. How can I prepare for a Calculus course here at the UA?

10.4. What can I expect as a new incoming Math student?

10.5. Undergrad Math Majors share their experience at UA

10.6. Resources for Other Student Groups

11. Winter Break Advising

11.1. Winter closure dates (2019-2020 academic year)

From December 23rd 2019 through January 1st 2020, many offices at the University of Arizona are limited in their activities due to the annual University Closure. However, we realize that academic advising issues can arise during this period.


For students in majors within the College of Science, please see general information on our College Website.


Math majors may still send messages to mcenter@math.arizona.edu or mathcenter@math.arizona.edu for major-related issues during the break, but please keep in mind that we may not be able to respond until after offices have opened again; our staff will return to the Math Center on Thursday, January 2.   

For general (non-major specific) questions, you may email Science@email.arizona.edu. Include your name, ID number, and major when emailing.

11.2. I am taking a winter course and I need to drop it.

            1. Email Robin Rarick rrarick@email.arizona.edu include your name, student ID, the nature of the change requested (including subject and course number) and reason for the requested change.
            2. In addition, you MUST have your professor email Robin Rarick with his/her permission for the change you are requesting. If the professor does not approve the change requested, you must remain enrolled and take the grade earned.
            3. Please avoid waiting until the last day of the course to request a change, as the process involves a few steps that take time for processing!

11.3. Does my winter course count for my degree program?

  • Courses that apply to your degree program will appear in the proper requirement area in your Academic Advisement Report. Run your Advisement Report in UAccess Student Center and double check the section in which your winter course is included.
  • If the course is not being pulled into the requirement area that you expected, you must choose another course that is allowed for that requirement, unless your Academic Advisor has pre-approved an exception prior to the winter closure.

11.4. I was told by Financial Aid that I need to file a Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Appeal Form.

NOTE: SAP appeals must be done in person, and there will be plenty of time to do this in person once the campus resumes its normal activities.
1. You should start the SAP appeal form now, by reading through the information here (http://financialaid.arizona.edu/managing-my-aid/satisfactory-academic-progress-sap-policy). 

2.  Start writing your personal statement and collecting appropriate documentation. This will facilitate the in-person meeting with your Academic Advisor in January.
2. Make an appointment with your academic advisor. If math or SDS is your primary (or only) major, you may set up an appointment here:  student.trellis.arizona.edu 

11.5. I didn’t do well last semester and am worried about my academic status.

If your Grade Point Average is below a 2.0 after fall 2019 grades post, please watch your UA email early in January for messaging about your next steps. We want to work with you early to develop a plan for improvement. Please don’t panic. 

Spring 2020 schedule changes: If you wish to alter your spring class schedule in the meantime (to repeat a course, or reduce your work load, etc.), please go ahead and do this via UAccess. Plan to discuss these modifications with your advisor when s/he returns after January 1st. Please know that there will still be enough time before the spring term begins to make additional schedule changes if needed and to discuss them with your academic advisor.

Full/closed classes

  • If the course you want/need is full, the first step is to check if it has a wait list. This will be signaled by a yellow triangle for the section in UAccess. To add yourself to the wait list, click the green “select” button to add it to your shopping cart. On the confirmation page, check the box in the upper right-hand side labeled “Add to wait list if course is full.” Then, add the course to your shopping cart and try to register for it. You will be added to the wait list if space is available.
  • For Math/Data Classes, we do not maintain official wait lists. However, the Math Center does try to help our majors who are in need of seats in these courses, so please email us at mcenter@math.arizona.edu so we can try to help.
  • If the course does not have a wait list, add it to your shopping cart so you can check on it easily. Check on a regular basis in case seats open up. Over the break, students make many changes to their schedules and seats may free up during this time.
  • You may try contacting the department that offers the class to see about possible enrollment, in case their administrators are responding over the winter break.
  • In some cases, you might be able to talk to the professor on or before the first day of class to ask if there is room for you to join the class, but this is not always the case. Check with the offering department to see how enrollment requests are managed.
  • If the class you want can be replaced with another class that is open (ie. a different general education class) please add your second choice class, but watch for a chance to swap it.

11.6. A course I need for Spring is full.

    • If the course you want/need is full, the first step is to check if it has a wait list. This will be signaled by a yellow triangle for the section in UAccess. To add yourself to the wait list, click the green “select” button to add it to your shopping cart. On the confirmation page, check the box in the upper right-hand side labeled “Add to wait list if course is full.” Then, add the course to your shopping cart and try to register for it. You will be added to the wait list if space is available.
    • For Math/Data Classes, we do not maintain official wait lists. However, the Math Center does try to help our majors who are in need of seats in these courses, so please email us at mcenter@math.arizona.edu so we can try to help.
    • If the course does not have a wait list, add it to your shopping cart so you can check on it easily. Check on a regular basis in case seats open up. Over the break, students make many changes to their schedules and seats may free up during this time.
    • You may try contacting the department that offers the class to see about possible enrollment, in case their administrators are responding over the winter break.
    • In some cases, you might be able to talk to the professor on or before the first day of class to ask if there is room for you to join the class, but this is not always the case. Check with the offering department to see how enrollment requests are managed.
    • If the class you want can be replaced with another class that is open (ie. a different general education class) please add your second choice class, but watch for a chance to swap it.

11.7. I need to apply to graduate in Spring or Summer.

Step 1: The deadline to apply for graduation (degree candidacy) is February 1.

  • You can complete the first step (filing for degree candidacy) now by selecting “Apply for Graduation” from the drop-down menu on the left-hand side of UAccess Student Center and filling out the online Degree Candidacy form that appears.
  • If you do not have a link to the degree candidacy form, please contact Jonathan Jensen, Graduation Services Advisor, jonathanjensen@email.arizona.edu to let him know. He can help create the link for you to apply. Keep in mind that he may not be checking email during the break, but there will be plenty of time for you to complete the application before the deadline.

Step 2: In order to complete the second step (filling out the degree audit worksheet), you must meet with your math faculty advisor.

  • Send an email to your math/SDS faculty advisor to set up a date and time to meet, keeping in mind that they may not be in town during the break between semesters. In case you are not able to meet until January, just keep in mind that it’s a good idea to do this early in the spring term, in case you need to modify your spring schedule.
  • If math/SDS is your primary or only major in a degree, then pick up your degree audit worksheet from Nellie in room 215 of the math building. She will return to the office on Monday, January 6, 2020. She is usually available between 9am and 2pm.
  • If you are not sure who your math/SDS faculty advisor is: 1. Check through your email; all math and SDS majors were sent a message around the end of September with this information; it may be in a junk/spam folder.  2. Email mcenter@math.arizona.edu to ask.  Your math/SDS faculty advisor is unfortunately not listed in your UAccess account.
  • Your math/SDS faculty advisor approves just your math/SDS major.  

11.8. I applied for Readmission for Spring, and am waiting to hear back from the College of Science for my next steps.

  • If you applied for readmission in poor academic standing you must fill out the College of Science Application for Readmission, and meet with an Academic Advisor to determine eligibility for admission. Please email science@email.arizona.edu to initiate this internal application.
  • You are required to meet with the Academic Advisor for your intended major to discuss your program of study. If you are outside of Tucson, you can schedule a phone or Zoom appointment; you may need to scroll ahead in the calendar to find available dates/times:  http://mathcenter.math.arizona.edu (if you do not have access to your UA email account, please look for the Social Sign-on option from the landing page so you can use Google, Facebook, or another service to access the appointment tool and receive notifications).

Please do not go to drop-in hours for readmission appointments.  Readmission appointments may take 30 minutes and will not be handled during walk-in hours.